The mission of the Cancer Prevention Institute of California (CPIC) is to prevent cancer and to reduce its burden where it cannot yet be prevented.
The Cancer Prevention Institute of California works across all communities to:
- Explore the causes of cancer by studying the genetic, environmental, and viral origins of cancers, and, once these causes have been established,
- Aid prevention by identifying where appropriate intervention can stop cancer before its starts
- Ensure that cancer prevention and treatment strategies benefit all people everywhere by
- monitoring the incidenceThe number of new cases of a disease diagnosed each year of cancer among the general public,
- investigating racial or ethnic based disparitiesDisparity: Inequality or difference in some respect in cancer prevention tactics or care options,
- educating the public about cancer prevention, treatment, and survivorship options, and
- reaching out to underserved populations to ensure that they have equal access to these advances.
Back to About the Cancer Prevention Institute of CA